Each Thirsty Thursday we help you get ready for the weekend ahead with a round up of the best wine reviews and pairings from your fave winos, oenophiles and beyond . . .
- No occasion needed: 9 top wines for under $20 ::link::
- “Luma’s Lobster Burger Recipe + Exclusive Wine Pairings” ::link::
- Best Wines Under $15 via Natalie Maclean ::link::
- Burrowing Owl Chardonnay, Marziano Abbona Cerviano Barolo, Fonseca Guimarens Vintage Port: Top LCBO Wines Vintages Release November 10 ::link::
- Three great wines for the winter: Gord Stimmell ::link::
A Curious Coupling … That Works
Crazy wine pairing: Nero d’Avola and almonds
To pair these rich, red wines with everything almond was a novelty to me, though we’d seen the almond trees as we drove into town and viewed some of the outdoor drying process almonds go through to be cured. My notes in my “Winebow Trip Manual” read: “Almond confections!! YOWZA!!” The nuts worked incredibly well with the Nero d’Avola and brought out some of the sweeter notes to the wine, the ripe fruits, while also highlighting the mineral richness of the grape, grown on a volcanic island.